How to recondition batteries - The ultimate guide
An old battery can be reconditioned with some equipment, some items, and a bit of time by any person. All at your home. It is a very simple procedure that anyone can do it.
All battery types can be easily reconditioned if you new these simple methods.
Reconditioning old batteries is economical and helps save the planet Earth from extra waste. It is very important for mother nature. So it is helpful to the environment and your pocket. It is time to think broadly about other creatures as well.
Affiliate Disclosure: To be honest, I am using affiliate links in the content (this article), like amazon associates program links. If you purchase anything using these links, I may get a commission without charging extra to you.
Does battery reconditioning really work?
Yes, it really works. All you need to do is follow a simple 10 - 30 min process, and your old unit will be new again. It'll have the exact charging capacity as a new battery. Besides this, you'll save a lot of money and the environment.
Can batteries be restored?
Yes, batteries can be restored. However, it is hard to achieve full capacity like it was brand new. Usually restoring dead batteries have strength from 50% to 80%.
Restoring batteries differ for every type. Lead-acid batteries are most commonly used almost everywhere. Usually, it can be easily restored for up to 70% charging strength. Li-ion battery is found in electronic gadgets like laptop, mobile phone, tablets, and watches, etc. They can be restored by replacing the individual damaged cells. NiCad and Nickel Metal hydride batteries can also be restored with simple tricks.
How do you recondition batteries?
All batteries include some form of storage cells in them. If you take a car battery, a laptop, or any other battery. They are consist of charge storage cells. These cells store the actual energy which later can be consumed by these machines.
When a cell in a battery becomes dead, the whole battery comes to an end. But if you find and restore the dead cell, the whole battery comes back to life.
I'll show you how easily feed the dead cells and take battery back to life.
How factories refurbish batteries?
When a battery becomes dead, usually one or two modules must have problems. As all batteries consist of different parts/modules. Mostly, charge storage cells get damage. Companies replace the dead modules. It costs them around $100 to $800, but they sell it for a brand new unit price.
The good news is, you can also replace these parts at your home. It'll have cost savings and you'll get one that lasts for up to five years.
Although, it is not as good reconditioning as companies do, but you'll get up from 50% to 70% or even 80% output strength of brand new battery output. Which is more than enough for a car.
How to recondition a car battery?
Car batteries are one of the expensive components in your car. But the good news is, if your car battery has come to its end, you can recondition it at your home.
The one thing that you should be aware of, is that the reconditioning battery will have from 50% to 80% strength of a brand new battery. Which is more than enough for your car.
Types of Car Batteries
There are two types of car batteries. The old-style is called the Flooded battery, while the new one is called the Dry Cell battery. The flooded battery will have cell caps that can be easily removed. It requires regular maintenance. While the other one can last up to five years without maintenance.
Tools needed to recondition a car battery
You'll need the following tools and items to start to recondition a car battery.
- Distilled water
- Epsom Salt (Magnesium sulfate)
- Multimeter OR Voltmeter
- Charger for batteries
- A syringe or funnel
- A battery load tester to do a load test
- Protective rubber gloves and eyewear goggles
Recondition a car battery at home
- First, check the battery voltage with a voltmeter and make sure it is less than 12 volts. This shows that it is really dead.
- Heat the distilled water (no tap water) from 60C to 75C. The water should be half a liter.
- Add about 2 big spoons of Epsom Salts to the heated distilled water and dissolve it in.
- If you have a flooded battery, remove the cell caps, pour out the old electrolyte solution, and insert the new salt solution to every cell with a syringe or funnel.
- If you have a dry cell battery, you need to drill through the sealed cell caps. Then remove the old electrolyte solution and insert the new one.
- Distribute the new electrolyte solution properly in each battery cell. You can shake the battery if air bubbles stuck beneath.
- Now, for the flooded battery, put the battery cap back, while for the dry cell, plug the holes.
- Finally, it's time to charge battery slowly by keeping it on trickle charge overnight. Then cool it down for some hours. By the next morning, you'll have a reformed battery that performs almost as good as new!
The battery charger is expensive, but it is good to have for long-term benefits. Alternatively, you can borrow it from your friends or charge battery at a commercial workshop.
How to recondition a hybrid car battery
Hybrid cars have two components, the electric motor, and the battery. A hybrid car battery can last up to 200,000 miles, i.e. usually more than its warranty. But when it goes stale, a new hybrid car battery costs about $3000 USD. Which is a lot.
To recondition a hybrid car battery, follow the below steps, and you'll save a lot of bucks at your home. Besides saving money, it is fun to refurbish batteries.
Keep in mind, this method is for lead-acid hybrid car battery, not for li-ion. It is like the above method i.e. recondition a car battery.
Hybrid car battery reconditioning
Follow the following steps for a hybrid battery reconditioning.
- First, remove the battery, then remove the protective rubber from the caps, then remove the battery caps.
- Charge it for an hour, without putting caps on. You'll see some bubbles coming out of it.
- If you don't see any bubbles, reverse the polarity of the wires for 2 to 3 min. i.e. Negative terminal to Positive terminal of battery and Positive terminal of the battery to negative terminal of the charger. Now, you'll see the bubbles. Revert the wires again to their original charging form, and recharge the battery for half an hour more.
- You can also replace the acid inside the battery if needed. You should mix the acid with distilled water. After that, recharge the battery for some hours, and hopefully, it'll last longer now.
Now you have a reconditioned battery that works like a new battery.
How to recondition any lead-acid battery?
The most common type of battery in cars, motorcycles, and other heavy machines is a lead-acids battery.
It is one of the oldest rechargeable batteries. It consists of Lead plates and Sulfuric Acid in electrolytes. The production of electricity is based on a chemical reaction between these battery plates and acid solution.
The Sulfuric acid in the electrolyte reacts with the Lead oxide (PbO) and Lead (Pb) to form lead sulfate (PbSO4). This lead sulfate is the main reason a battery becomes dead. The reversal of this process is called desulfation. For the desulfation, a number of methods are being used. Some are more effective while some are very expensive.
The following steps are taken to desulfate a dead battery.
- Step 1: Prepare the E-Salts + distilled water, electrolyte. For this take about 4 big spoons of pure Epsom Salt and one liter of distilled water. Heat up the water just below the boiling point for some time. Then add the Epsom salt and dissolve it. ( Get this 100% pure salt )
- Step 2: Remove the battery caps, and completely pour out the old electrolyte. Then, add the new electrolyte and distribute it gently. So there should be no gap for air.
- Step 3: Charge the battery with high Amp charging settings. This process will take some time depending on the extent of sulfation. But every second worth it. Next, set the charger at a low Amp setting and charge the battery until full. ( get this smart and advanced charger )
- Step 4: Now discharge the battery, and recharge it again using low Amp settings. The low current helps Epsom salt slowly beaks down the lead sulfate deposits on the battery. You can repeat the charging-discharging process up to 5 times. In the last, you'll get an extended battery.
This method is useful for acid+lead batteries, like 6 volts, 12 volts, 24 volts, OR regular battery, deep cycle battery, golf cart, OR car, motorbikes, tractors, and other vehicles.
You should always check your refurbished battery with a battery load tester to do a load test.
There is one other solution + enhancer that helps protect new batteries from sulfate deposits and dead batteries to desulfate. That is the INOX mx2 battery solution.
The INOX mx2 solution can be added to a new one, to improve battery performance. It can also be added to an old battery or even dead batteries to desulfate them.
How to recondition a laptop battery?
Usually, laptop batteries are made up of Lithium-Ion batteries. The thing that makes it weak, is mostly the charge cycles, and high temperature. If your environment is hot, or you are using some kind of ultra-fast charging which makes it hot, it will come to an end soon.
But there are some strange methods that may help you repair laptop batteries. Some of them are listed here.
Types of cells in laptop batteries
Nowadays, laptops come with various batteries. But the most common batteries are using the following cell technologies.
- Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cd battery)
- Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH)
Repair laptop battery by Charging and discharging
In this method, you will need to fully charge it, then wait about 30 min, and let it discharge until it comes to 5%. You'll have to adjust the power settings in your Operating System.
Repeat the above process up to 7 times, and hopefully, you'll recondition the laptop battery.
Recondition gadget batteries by using fridge.
This method is really weird, but you can always try it. In this method, you'll have to fully charge it. Now remove the battery from your laptop, if it is removable. Wrap the battery in a plastic bag, and keep it in a fridge for about 12 hours. After that, hopefully, you'll get reconditioned batteries.
How to recondition gadget batteries by replacing damaged cells? Guaranteed repair laptop battery.
This is the most effective and accurate way of reconditioning batteries. Every company that sells refurbished items do this. They even sell them as new batteries. This method is a bit difficult to follow due to its nature.
In this method, you need to open the battery of your laptop, check the individual cell voltage, and replace the one that is damaged / low voltage. Usually, when only one cell gets damaged, the whole battery becomes dead.
Follow this step by step guide to recondition laptop batteries.
- Step 1: Open the battery of your laptop. You can use a paper cutter.
- Step 2: Check the individual cells using a voltmeter, and note all of them. You can simply write the cell voltage reading on each.
- Step 3: Replace the low voltage cells with new ones. You'll need to soldiering work here. (It's not hard, believe me)
- Step 4: Put back everything in the case and close the battery.
- Step 5: Charge the battery to 100%, then wait for 30 min so it cools down, then let it discharge to 5%. Again wait for about 10 min so its ions stabilize. Now recharge the battery back to 100%. You'll be amazed by your new fully charged battery.
Congrats, you'll get a new 100% working laptop battery, 100% guaranteed. This method is used by many laptop battery reconditioning companies, and it works great.
Once you recondition one battery for your laptop, you'll always recondition old batteries for fun. You can even start a side battery reconditioning business and repair a dead battery for any customer. You can repair your batteries at home.
One thing to note is that you should pay attention to purchasing new Li-Ion battery cells. You should check their capacity as well as their voltage, this is very important.
If you afraid of making these changes, then you should buy a new.
What causes laptop lithium ion battery life fade down?
There are many factors that lower the life of a laptop li-ion battery. It includes the charging and discharging cycle, high voltage than needed, and high temperature.
The high-temperature issue is more effective in a li-ion battery. So avoid it as much as possible. Here are some of the solutions that you can apply.
- If your charger has ultra-fast charging capability, and you have regular charging behavior as well, try to use the regular charging. It'll save it from heating up too much.
- If you are living in a hot environment or your laptop heats up quickly, then you should get a cooling pad. It'll help to boost your laptop performance and your battery longevity.
Generally, always try to save your li-ion battery from heating, and you'll see a massive increase in its life.
How to recondition NiCad Batteries?
In NiCad batteries, the sulfate crystals cover the battery terminals and prevent them from charging. Simply removing those sulfate crystals or desulfation, make these Nickel Cadmium batteries back to life.
Here is the step by step guide to follow for NiCad battery reconditioning.
- Step 1: Get a strong capacitor. You can get one old flash camera capacitor.
- Step 2: Add a switch, battery holder, and that capacitor. Use insulated wires, and avoid touching them.
- Step 3: Place an alkaline battery into the capacitor and the NiCad battery into the battery holder.
- Step 4: Press the switch and wait for the LED to glow. Repeat this step several times. You should hear a sound, which means that the sulfur crystals are destroyed and your battery is ready to use again.
This gadget seems complicated but in fact, it is straightforward. Once you made one, you'll able to use it all the time for your NiCad batteries. Also, keep in mind, NiCad batteries suffer from memory effect as well.
How to recondition device batteries at home?
Almost all devices batteries are nowadays li-ion batteries. Which fade down with time and charge-discharge cycles. This is the reason if it is bought five years back can't hold that much charge like a new.
To fix this issue, you'll either need to get completely replace the battery, or recondition the old one, or follow some simple steps to make it last longer.
In the case of bigger devices, like laptops, batteries reconditioning works great. But if you have smaller devices like a smartwatch or mobile phone, a new battery will be better or follow good practices to last it longer.
Here are some tips to make your gadgets battery live longer.
Recharge your device properly
Some peoples recharge their batteries when it reaches 10% or below. They think that doing so longers its life as all of the cell's energy has been used. While according to research, you should recharge the battery if it hits about the 70% capacity line. This makes it last longer.
With more apps running on, more computation will be needed, and thus more battery energy will be utilized. If you don't need an app right now, maybe you should not leave it running in the background. Running applications/programs utilize more battery energy.
You can check the activity monitor to see which program uses how much battery. Get any alternate app or discard it if you don't need it.
Recalibrate your device battery
While it seems stupid time waste, but it is good to recalibrate your battery. This way, you'll get a clear view of how much true battery capacity is left.
To get the true battery readings, follow this simple trick. Discharge the battery completely till it shuts down by itself. Leave it discharged for a few hours to completely drain any leftover charges. Then recharge again to 100%. Now, You'll have a true battery percentage levels reading.
Reset your device
Another solution to battery recalibration is to reset your device to factory defaults. This will not only restore apps but also will remove any unwanted applications/viruses/trojans, etc. Which might be draining your battery power as well as leaking your privacy.
Further reading access award winning course.
Complete kit for reconditioning all types of batteries.
The following common equipment will be needed for reconditioning batteries.
- Multimeter: For measuring volts and amps etc. This is a must-have tool, and without a multimeter, it is like working in a dark place. Purchase this one.
- Battery Charger: For charging-recharging batteries. You should get the Schumacher SC1281 charger. It has many features, like basic charging tasks and even desulfation as well. It is fully automatic.
- Sandpaper: For cleaning the battery terminal.
- Jump Starter kit: Necessary to jumpstart a vehicle or battery. Get the NEXPOW Car Battery Starter.
The following things are needed for Lead-acid batteries reconditioning.
- Distilled water: 1 liter for a normal size car battery. But if you need to recondition many lead-acid batteries, you'll need more. Get from Amazon.
- Epsom Salt: According to your needed electrolyte E-salt solution. Get from Amazon.
- Baking soda solution: According to your need. It is also used in electrolyte solutions. Get this baking soda powder from Amazon. You'll need a cleaning solution to clean the battery plates (i.e. baking soda solution).
- Syringe or funnel: For filling the battery cells with a new electrolyte solution. Get one here.
- Auto bulbs: (Optional) To test and sometimes slow discharging as well.
- Battery acid pack: To restore your battery acid solution level. If your current battery acid solution is not black, you can reuse those as well. Otherwise, you should dispose of the black battery acid pack somewhere safe.
The following safety equipment required for any battery reconditioning.
- Safety goggles: Eye protection glass is a must, because, you'll be working with acid. Get one here.
- Rubber gloves: Hands should also be protected from the unexpected acid spill and unexpected electricity shocks. Get the chemical resistant gloves.
- Well ventilated area: This will help refresh the air around the acid. So your lungs and nose won't taste it.
- And of course a fresh mind: It is the most important part. If you are not healthy, chances are, you'll make a lot of dangerous mistakes. So, avoid a tense situation.
The following equipment needed for device batteries reconditioning.
- Portable power bank: Needed to charge the device batteries. Purchase it from Amazon. It is also better to have one if you are a traveler.
- Resistors: For batteries like NiCad, you'll need resisters to make the battery reconditioning circuit.
- Paper cutter: Needed to open a laptop battery.
- Resins: Required to seal AA battery after reconditioning.
- Cyanoacrylate adhesive: Usually used in laptop battery reconditioning for assembling parts. here ordinary glue can not be used because of high temperature and chemical reactions.
Why you should repair batteries?
Right now almost all devices and machines powered by some sort of batteries. The demand for batteries is not going down, instead, it is going up day by day. So reconditioning batteries skill will not go to waste. You'll need it for yourself or your loved ones or even for your business.
Here are a few reasons why you should learn how to repair batteries.
- For earning extra bucks.
- For keeping our beloved planet habitable, and reduce waste.
- You'll practically get old batteries renewed for free.
- Batteries cost much, and you are saving a hefty sum if you simply recondition it instead of buying another one.
- It is not good to dispose of to the earth. It is not healthy for the soil, or trees, etc, nor it is healthy for animals and birds. So, recondition as much you can. Because we are not alone living on this planet.
- If you want to go green and save the environment while working on renewable energy resources, this is a good opportunity. Not only you learn a skill that will be highly coveted in the future, but you can also earn some extra cash for other pursuits.
- Besides all, it is fun.
Step by Step Course to recondition old batteries of any type, especially car batteries.
You may be wondering if there is a video course that teaches all forms of battery reconditioning? Yes, there is a course that teaches you how to recondition batteries at home.
Whether it is your car battery, truck battery, golf cart battery, any other one, sealed or flooded (unsealed) batteries, it'll show you the step by step guide to recondition them in videos form.
If you are caring about your electronic gadgets, like laptops, mobile phones, smartwatches, or some other electronic gadgets, it teaches you how to recondition those li-ion batteries as well. Because most of the electronic gadgets are using lit-ion batteries.
The course is known as EZ Battery Reconditioning Program. You can get it by following the link below.
Get the Battery Reconditioning Course.
Inspired by Kevin miller last time I close search and heard. But this article is designed to provide the best value in the market.
Check out the comparison of reconditioned batteries vs new batteries.
Leave a comment bellow in the comment section.
Copyright TryTheseRecipes.com - All rights reserved.